Thursday 10 February 2011

MUBARAK NEEDS TO RESIGN. . . however, he still hangs on to power!!


After just hearing Mubarak's speech, I couldn't help but scream at my laptop while I watched..


What on earth was he saying?


As Mubarak continued to talk, it became very clear that he would not be announcing his departure from power. He will stay on until September elections. This news has not gone down well with the crowds gathered in Tahrir Square as well as the millions watching LIVE right now!

Reports say Mr Mubarak is delegating power to his vice-president. It seems he is not stepping down, but he is handing some responsibilities to his deputy.

Egyptian academic Mamoun Fandy says Mr Mubarak's words "will not wash". He says: "These young people are too smart. I don't know whether the disaster will start tonight or tomorrow, but we're in for a huge confrontation. Whoever wrote that speech is living in a bubble."

Mubarak said: "I was a young man as well when I joined the military and pledged to the nation and sacrificed to the nation. I spent my life defending Egypt's life and sovereignty. The best days of my life were when I raised the flag of Egypt over the Sinai and when I flew plans in Addis Ababa. There was no day when I was affected or gave in to foreign pressure."

"I believe that the majority of Egyptians know who Hosni Mubarak is and it pains me what has been expressed by some people from my own country. I am aware of the dangers facing us and out of my belief that Egypt is going through a very significant phase in its history, this compels us all to put the interests of the nation first and put Egypt above any consideration."

Maybe a few days ago his offer would have been accepted...however, now it is merely too late! HE IS JUST A SYMBOL OF CORRUPTION and his words are most definitely not going down well with the people. There will be protests for sure.

Mr Mubarak, 82, had previously said he would leave office only after presidential elections due to be held in September.

Negotiations between the government and opposition groups have made little progress, with protesters disillusioned at plans for reform put forward by Mr Mubarak's government.

In recent days, the US government had stepped up its call for the protesters' concerns to be addressed.

Full quote from Mr Suleiman: "The 25 January movement has succeeded in making a change in the party of democracy, history has begun. Constitutional decisions have been taken, commissions were formed to implement what the president decided in terms of directives in his 1 February speech. What the president announced today stresses once again his national feeling and his siding with the legitimate demands of the people and his commitment to the many pledges he made in the past. It also proves his awareness of the seriousness of the situation that Egypt is going through. The president had put the supreme interests of the people above everything else."

Chowraha: What Egypt Taught Me: People plus Media is equal to Power - an amazing read.


It's doubtful anyone in Tahrir Square just heard Mr Suleiman's speech - the noise of chants and horns is deafening.


No comments:

Post a Comment