Saturday 26 February 2011

Life is Life...Fight for it!

Do we determine each moment of our life based on the decisions we make, the actions we take and the choices we face?

Do you sometimes wonder whether or not things would be different if we had done something differently?

I don't have any regrets and I believe that no-one should...however, sometimes I can't help but ponder over what could have been or where I'd be if a particular thing didn't happen or if something had gone differently. 

So many things have happened for the best, yet some things haven't. What happened to having a plan and sticking to it? How do we know whether what we are doing is right? 

I know the answer is that we just can't. Life is for living, to learn, to pass, to fail, to laugh, cry and make mistakes. To make decisions and then live with the consequences of these actions, be it good or bad.

Is it really easy to lose yourself if you don't pay attention to what life throws your way?

Hansel said to Gretel, let us drop these breadcrumbs…so that together we can find our way home, because losing our way would be the most cruel of things.
Losing your way on a journey is unfortunate...but, losing your reason for the journey…is a fate more cruel. And once you lose yourself, you have two choices: either find the person you used to be, or lose that person completely.
Because, sometimes, you have to step outside of the person you’ve been.
And remember the person you were meant to be. The person you wanted to be. . . 

I just can't help thinking about what I have done, where I am right now and how I got here. What does the future hold for me? 
Over the past year, it has been one hell of a hurdle - graduating and entering the real world (work) and facing the pressure to figure out your life, your career and ambitions. 

I have undergone many changes and don't know whether it's purely because I didn't have the will power and strength to follow through, or maybe I didn't really know what I wanted and it was just what I thought I wanted. I am not even sure I have figured any of it out yet. . .

When I was in high-school, I loved science...I was passionate and I always wanted to be able to help people...(at least that hasn't changed) and I used to dream about being a doctor 'when I grew up' !



But then, I got to college and something changed - I came home with totally different subjects which had replaced Chemistry and Biology and I ended up taking Economics, Mathematics and Psychology. 

I did think about it carefully and although later on, for the teeniest amount of time, I did regret it...I never questioned my decisions. When I went to uni to study Economics, Finance and Management, I never once felt like I was making a mistake - I knew I loved the subject and I thoroughly enjoyed my degree, well, most of it. I am a strong believer of the saying "Everything happens for a reason" and I truly feel that it does.  

I just can't bring myself to understand it sometimes...and I have started wondering whether it is actually circumstances and opportunity that helps in changing our mind and influencing certain actions - or merely just assisting us in finding our path?! 

Throughout my degree, I thought it was a Finance career I wanted. I loved most of the finance modules at uni and I was actually good at them, so, it was finance graduate schemes I was applying to. I didn't have much luck with it - I am partly blaming the economy and the tough times we are facing - or at least it was worse when I was at uni last year, however, I also began to realise that maybe finance wasn't for me. I have always loved the theory and I still do, I love solving problems and when it comes to maths, I love that challenge!
Anyway, I still gave it a chance and was willing to find out whether it really was for me, in practice anyway. 
I went back to The Trust to continue volunteering with the Finance Team and the Director of Finance has always supported me, in fact she still does and I will always be grateful to her - an amazing woman and a true inspiration. 

One month in, and I was given the opportunity to try out within Communications. I took it, because I was looking for a job and all I wanted was to gain some experience. Soon after, I was asked to interview for a position that opened up and I was offered a fixed term contract. I can't say I ever saw myself within Communications and PR, but did I see myself within Finance? All I can say is, I can't thank The Trust and everyone I work with enough for the opportunity. During my time with The Trust, I have learnt a great deal and the people will always remain close to my heart. A perfect first job and I am most definitely a different person - I have developed skills I never thought I had and I have realised my potential. I have learnt to express my views and passions and more importantly, I have discovered a career path which I hope I will be good at. 

So, I can't help but wonder that if I wasn't given that opportunity 8 months ago, where would I be right now? Would I be working in Finance? Would I have ever discovered Public Relations/Communications? I can't guarantee that this is the way it will go, neither can I predict my future...

My contract with The Trust ends soon and although I am extremely saddened by the thought, I am trying really hard to see it all as a positive. A new chance, a new opportunity and a chance to discover myself. I think most people I know can agree with how competitive jobs are these days and how utterly depressing it is, but, I know that we can do it...because we are amazing and we just need to be patient. Somebody will discover us soon enough and we have the rest of our lives ahead of us!! ;-)

Whatever happens, it's all part of the fun. 

Life is a long long journey. There will be difficulties, there will be a lot of happiness as well as a lot of sadness, but we need to live it how we want to, and regardless of how we get to where we are, we should just embrace every opportunity. Live life to fullest and one day I hope that we all find our way and become who we truly wish to be. 

Albert Einstein once said: "Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning."

Life is an opportunity, benefit from it.
Life is beauty, admire it.
Life is bliss, taste it.
Life is a dream, realise it.
Life is a challenge, meet it.
Life is a duty, complete it.
Life is a game, play it.
Life is a promise, fulfill it.
Life is sorrow, overcome it.
Life is a song, sing it.
Life is a struggle, accept it.
Life is a tragedy, confront it.
Life is an adventure, dare it.
Life is luck, make it.
Life is too precious, do not destroy it.
Life is life, fight for it.

(Mother Teresa)



Much Love,

Anokhi 

No comments:

Post a Comment